Are you a woman in business who sometimes feels stressed?
Research shows that the majority of women in business start out to gain better work life balance and to have more time to spend with their family. However it seems the reality is different â€“ with evidence to suggest that many self-employed women work long into the night, find that their business is not performing to the level they had hoped, and they have higher levels of stress than when they worked for someone else! (Ministry of Women’s Affairs 2008 Report).
So given that stress, and lack of work life balance are so common for women in business, what can you do about it?
- Do you want to believe that part of being a business woman is accepting a certain level of stress and overwhelm?
- Or do you want to pursue your dreamed-of work life balance?
The key to stress management and work life balance is to realise you are not alone and that there are many solutions out there just waiting to help you.
Here are 5 steps you can take to manage stress and work towards work life balance.
- Seek business advice. You don’t have to figure it all out for yourself. Seek out advice from experts who have been there before who can advise and support you
- Join a community. For many women in business, feelings of isolation are common and add to feelings of stress. Find a mentor, join an online forum, or seek out a local business buddy so you have people to bounce ideas off and feel supported.
- Check in with your business plan and re-connect with where you are headed and why. This will re-ignite your motivation and inspire you to look big picture rather than focusing on the stressful details.
- Outsource some of your work. Examine your daily tasks and determine which ones could be completed by someone else (note: this will require you to let go of some control!). Outsourcing even a fraction of your daily tasks will free up your time so you can keep looking big picture and focus your energy in areas that energise you and your business.
- Celebrate your achievements to date. Its easy to forget how far you have come so take 5 minutes from your day to acknowledge your achievements and the steps you have already taken that have lead to success!
We encourage you to take one of these steps today and feel the weight lift off your shoulders.
You are not alone in feeling some level of stress, but you don’t have to accept that stress and overwhelm are always part of being a business woman!
If you would like to find out more about managing stress, and hear from stress and anxiety expert, Dr Cate Howell as she shares her top 10 tips for managing stress, we invite you to sign up for our telesummit. Dr Howell is one of a panel of expert speakers we have who will share their inspirational stories and their business advice in this week of online interviews.
To find out more about our telesummit and to register for your FREE place, visit our telesummit website.